How the MS Read-A-Thon works
Contact your MS Read-A-Thon coordinator to choose the Kick-Off Assembly and awards option that work for your school. Contact us at 1-800-268-7582 ext. 3191 or email@example.com or REGISTER ONLINE.
Before the Kick-Off Assembly
- We will send an information package and everything you need to know to make the most of the MS Read-A-Thon at your school.
- We will contact you to confirm your kick-off assembly dates.
- Inform staff. Post the Staff Room poster and talk to the faculty about the program. Put the MS Read-A-Thon in the school calendar and use the Email Templates to communicate key dates to your colleagues.
- Inform parents. Use the Newsletter Templates to send a notice home about the upcoming campaign or post it on your school's website
- Share our classroom activities and MS Read-A-Thon videos to encourage teachers to incorporate the MS Read-A-Thon in their curriculum.
- Start making morning announcements and ask all the
staff and students to wear red to the assembly to show their enthusiasm.
- The Kick-Off Assembly is approximately 30 minutes in length and shares what multiple sclerosis is, the importance of reading and how the MS Read-A-Thon works with students and staff.
- Encourage all teachers to attend with their class and talk to their students about what they learned and how their class will help!
During the reading period
- After the assembly, students are given their student pledge kits that include all they need to start recording their reading and approaching sponsors.
- Reading can take place as a class activity and at home for 2-3 weeks. During that time, students will be collecting donations for their reading. We emphasize in the assembly that there should be no door-to-door solicitation. Students are only to ask people they know to become a sponsor for the MS Read-A-Thon.
- Use classroom activities to compliment your program.
After the reading period
- Students submit their completed student pledge kits (Minute Tracking Sheet, Student Pledge Sheet and donations in the plastic baggie) to their teacher.
- In most cases, the MS Read-A-Thon office will arrange for the funds to be picked up, counted and receipted.
- Your chosen awards and participant thank-you gifts will be sent to your school.