Say hello to Calgary and Area Chapter
Calgary, Alberta Office
About this Chapter
The mission of the Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada is to be a leader in finding a cure for multiple sclerosis and enabling people affected by MS to enhance their quality of life. The Calgary & Area Chapter has applied the mission by 1) providing hope for the future through the support of MS research into the cause, treatment and cure of the disease, and 2) hope for today through our many services that assist people with MS and their families.
The Calgary & Area Chapter offers a range of services and programs. Our recreation programs include seated yoga, gentle yoga, fitness classes and a bowling program. Our social programs include coffee break, crafts & conversation, social outings and annual events such as the annual Christmas Party and a day outing to William Watson Lodge which offer persons with MS an opportunity to connect with others who have similar experiences and our support groups are a safe place to freely and confidentially share experiences and learn more about managing MS.
The Calgary & Area Chapter also offers a number of education sessions including research updates, conferences, information sessions, and presentations to the community or health professionals. The Friendly Visiting Volunteer Program is offered to young adults living in long term care who are socially isolated. The MS GPS System Navigation and Advocacy Supports Program helps persons affected by MS identify, navigate and access services and supports.
The Calgary & Area Chapter also offers a Special Assistance Funding Program that provides funding to people affected by MS to cover the cost of items not covered by other funding programs. This program does have specific criteria and a rigorous application process. The hallmark of the Calgary & Area Chapter is the annual Family Caregiver Retreat that celebrated its 15th year in 2013 of providing support to family members who are living with someone who is diagnosed with MS.
The Calgary & Area Chapter manages four major fundraising events each year which include the MS Walk, MS Bikes and MS Whisky Festival. The MS Walk is one of the largest MS Walks in Canada and has been in Calgary for over 20 years. The MS Bike has two events which include a mountain event and a road cycling event. The MS Bike - Canmore started in 2012 and the MS Bike – Airdrie to Olds started in 1994. Each event is run out of the Calgary office by a small development department. Together they bring in the money to support the programs offered by the client services team and contribute funds to research.
Since our founding in 1959, the core support of the MS Society, Calgary & Area Chapter has been from thousands of dedicated individuals, companies and foundations in communities within Calgary & Area and across Alberta & NWT. The Calgary & Area Chapter receives almost no funding from government.
The Calgary & Area Chapter has a membership of almost 400. It is the only national voluntary organization in Canada that supports both MS research and services for people with MS and their families. Alberta & NWT Division is divided into four regions including Southern Alberta, Lakeland, Northern Alberta and Central Alberta. The Calgary & Area Chapter is part of the Southern Region together with the Southeastern Chapter and the Lethbridge & District Chapter.
Some 53 volunteers serve on the Calgary & Area Chapter board and committees. An estimated 490 individuals are volunteers for client services, fund raising events, and public awareness campaigns. Volunteers with the Calgary & Area Chapter are integral to our client services recreation programs and our fundraising events.
The head office of the MS Society is located in Toronto, Ontario and the Alberta & NWT Division is located in Edmonton.
- The Government of Canada is seeking input from stakeholders regarding drug pricingThe Government of Canada is seeking input from stakeholders regarding drug pricing. Have your say on this topic by completing the MS Society of Canada...
- $18 Million Awarded to Three Projects In Global Effort to End Progressive Multiple SclerosisInternational Progressive MS Alliance leading global collaboration to find solutions and treatments for progressive MS September 15, 2016, LONDON,
- $350,000 awarded to next generation of multiple sclerosis researchersFOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Toronto, ON – September 7, 2016 – The Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada is proud to announce the 2016 recipients of scholarships...
- Serve as a Community Representative on the Research Review PanelEach year the MS Society seeks the necessary scientific expertise required to review applications that are submitted to the Annual Research Competition.
- A&W Canada and the MS Society of Canada join forces for an 8th year to Beat MS$1 from every Teen Burger® sold across Canada will go towards helping those living with MS FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE VANCOUVER, BC – A&W Food Services...