endMS Postdoctoral Fellowships
The endMS Postdoctoral Fellowship Program is intended to support research for training of Postdoctoral Fellows in studies related to MS. The endMS Postdoctoral Fellowships serve to attract and retain young researchers in the field of MS.
Applications to the endMS Postdoctoral Fellowship Program should emphasize opportunities for new research training and broadening scientific competence of the applicant.
Based on the nature of the research, the candidate can apply for one of the following awards:
- endMS Postdoctoral Fellowships: Biomedical research
- endMS Postdoctoral Fellowships: Clinical and Population Health research
Amount and Term
- Initial term: 1 year
- Maximum number of terms: 3 years (1 new application and 2 renewals)
- Awarded amount per term (for Ph.D. holder): $41,000
- Awarded amount per term (for M.D. holder): $50,500
In order to receive funds for the additional terms, eligible awardees who hold an endMS Personnel Award must submit a progress report that is approved by the MSSC.
- Hold, or be candidates for a doctoral degree (Ph.D., M.D. or equivalent). M.D. Applicants must hold degrees that are recognized by the Canadian medical regulatory authority. A Fellowship will not be activated for a doctoral candidate until the MS Society has received written notification from a university or professional school that an appropriate doctoral degree has been granted.
- Have completed their doctoral degree in the last three years or less by the time of the competition deadline in order to be eligible.
- Be enrolled in postdoctoral training* at a Canadian institution; or those interested in studying abroad must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada.
- Hold a postdoctoral fellowship at a recognized institution; and be responsible to an appropriate supervisor who is in a field relevant to MS.
*Postdoctoral training must be conducted in a different laboratory and with a different supervisor than where a doctoral degree was obtained.
- Competition Opens: July 30, 2018
- Application Deadline: October 1, 2018 at 16:00 EDT
- Progress Report Deadline: November 5, 2018 at 16:00 EDT
- Anticipated Notice of Decision: March 2019
- Funding Start Date: July 1, 2019
Research Funding Partnerships
MSSC Partnership with Fonds de Recherche du Québec - Santé (FRQS)
To support a greater number of Postdoctoral students by providing training awards to outstanding individuals in Quebec who wish to commence or pursue their research training in the field of multiple sclerosis. This support will be delivered through the co-funding fellowship awards submitted to the regular competitions of both FRQS and MSSC.
Mechanisms of Support
The co-funded support for the postdoctoral fellowship is one (1) year in length with an opportunity to be renewed, which is dependent upon the submission and approval of a renewal application by both FRQS and MSSC.
Value of Awards
|Awards and Fellowships||Total Funding Amount|
|** Postdoctoral fellowship||$45,000|
|** Postdoctoral MD||$50,500|
*Fellowships will be co-funded (50/50) by FRQS and
**Postdoctoral Fellowships offered to those who conduct their training outside of Canada will benefit from a supplement of $10,000 per year.
In order to be eligible for funding through this partnership applicants must:
- Apply to both FRQS and MSSC regular competitions.
- FRQS candidates must indicate in their application that they wish to be considered for a MSSOC partnership award and MSSC candidates must indicate that they wish to be considered for the FRQS partnership award.
- The FRQS application must be approved for relevance by the MSSC.
- The application must be approved for funding based on the peer review of both FRQS and MSSC research competitions.
- MSSC Competition Opens: July 30, 2018
- MSSC Application Deadline: October 1, 2018 at 16:00 EDT
- FRQS Competition Closes: To be updated
- MSSC Anticipated Notice of Decision: March 2019
- FRQS Anticipated Announcement of Results: To be updated
- Funding Start Date: July 1, 2019