Gifts in a will
What are gifts in a will?
Gifts in a will are, by far, the most popular type of legacy gift. Also known as bequests, gifts in a will are popular for the following reasons:
- You will help support Canadians living with MS without touching the assets and funds you need now
- It’s easy to do by contacting your lawyer
- You can change your mind at any time and amend or revoke the gift
- It reduces the taxes payable on your estate as your estate will receive a charitable tax receipt for the gift
There are different ways to create a gift in your will in support of Canadians living with MS:
- Specific bequest: a gift of a fixed amount of cash or a particular asset
- Percentage share: a gift of a percentage of your whole estate
- Contingent bequest: a gift that will take effect only in the event of the prior death of other named beneficiaries
Wording for your will
If you are about to have a will drafted for the first time or are considering making changes to your current will, your lawyer can include a bequest to the MS Society of Canada. The MS Society’s Board of Directors recommends the following language for use in your will:
I direct my Estate Trustee to pay the Multiple
Sclerosis Society of Canada the sum of $____________ (or _____%
of my estate) to be used for such purposes of the MS Society as
its Board of Directors may from time to time determine.
Charitable Registration No:
National Office - 10774 6174 RR0001
Quebec Division - 104902523 RR0001
How do I create my gift in a will?
Creating your legacy gift is as easy as 1, 2, 3!
- Make an appointment with your lawyer
- Create or amend your will that reflects your wishes
- Contact the MS Society so that we may thank you for your gift
I’ve already created a gift in my will in support of Canadians living with MS
Thank you!! If you have already created a gift in your will and you wish to let us know about it, please take a moment to fill out our Statement of Intent form. Any information you provide will remain strictly confidential.
Click here to download our reference guide on gifts in a will, containing all of the information you need tocreate your own gift in support of Canadians living with MS.