MS Society Peer Support Program - Volunteers wanted
The MS Society will be launching an exciting new nation-wide Peer Support Program! This program will match trained volunteers with peers who approach the MS Society looking for support from someone who has ‘been there’. While the MS Society can provide evidence based information, this program will complement that with experiential information and support. This program is confidential and flexible given that support will typically be provided over the phone/skype at a time that works best for the volunteer and the peer.
At this time, we are inviting applications from interested volunteers living with MS. We are looking for individuals who are at a place in their own experience where they feel they can effectively support others. We are looking to fill our fall training session(s) with volunteers representing a diverse range of experiences and a diverse range of ages, locations, and other demographic qualities. If we are not able to accommodate you in our first training, we will be hosting future trainings as the program grows! Please note that given potential interest and the need to ensure diversity in the volunteer pool, not all applications will result in acceptance to the program at this time.
We are looking for volunteers who meet the following criteria:
- Be 18 years or older and diagnosed with MS (or an allied disease) for a minimum of two years
- Be at a point in your journey where you can provide support to others
- Sign volunteer and confidentiality agreements
- Submit documents for a criminal records check (CRC) before starting as a volunteer (must be renewed every three years). The MS Society will process the check at no cost to the volunteer.
- Be available to participate in online volunteer training (1.5 hours a week for 5 weeks with some additional time for reading and practice)
- Agree to a one year minimum commitment to the program from the time you have completed training and screening
If you are interested, please contact Emily Knight at email@example.com or at 1-800-268-7582 x3149.