Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada

Programs and Services

Long Term Care

  • Home Support and Accommodations

In Ontario, Community Care Access Centres (CCACs) are the gatekeepers of long-term care. A family doctor, family member, or home care worker may tell the CCAC that it is no longer possible to keep the person in his or her home, but the CCAC conducts the assessment and makes the decision.

In order to be placed in a long-term care home an individual must meet certain eligibility criteria as defined by regulation and assessed by your local CCAC:

  • Be 18 years-of-age or older
  • Have a valid Ontario Health Card
  • Have health care needs that cannot be met with any combination of care giving, care in your home or care in your community
  • Have health care needs that can be met in a long-term care home

The Ontario Ministry of Health pays for the care needed but the client must pay for the accommodation costs. The client may apply for a subsidy, bringing the fee down to a level they can afford. To do so they must provide a Notice of Assessment from Revenue Canada. Facilities cannot refuse admission to individuals based solely on their inability to pay for accommodation.

For more information:

Find your local CCAC here

Find a Long Term Care Home here

Visit the Ontario Long Term Care Association's website here

Visit the Ontario Association of Non-Profit Homes and Services for Seniors here

Disclaimer: The MS Society is an independent, voluntary health agency and does not approve, endorse or recommend any specific product or therapy but provides information to assist individuals in making their own decisions. For specific information and advice, please consult your personal physician. Read our full privacy policy.

Open navigation