Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada

Programs and Services

Supportive Housing

  • Home Support and Accommodations

Supportive Housing is designed for people who only need minimal to moderate care to live independently, such as homemaking or personal care and support. Accommodations usually consist of rental units within an apartment building.

Typically owned and operated by municipal governments or non-profit groups including faith groups, seniors' organizations, service clubs, and cultural groups. Accommodations, on-site services, costs, and the availability of government subsidies vary with each building.

Accommodation costs are based on market rent for similar apartments. If you are eligible, the government may subsidize your rent so that you only pay up to 30% of your household's monthly income. Personal care and support costs are funded by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care.

Apply directly to the chosen supportive housing provider (e.g. municipal housing authority or individual landlord).

Local Community Care Access Centre (CCAC) can get you started by providing you with a list of supportive housing providers in your area, information about the eligibility criteria and, if applicable, the waiting times .

For more information:

Visit the Ministry of Health's website here

Find your local CCAC here

Disclaimer: The MS Society is an independent, voluntary health agency and does not approve, endorse or recommend any specific product or therapy but provides information to assist individuals in making their own decisions. For specific information and advice, please consult your personal physician. Read our full privacy policy.

Open navigation