Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada

Programs and Services

Advanced Care Directive

  • Advocacy & Legal

What is an "advance care directive" or "living will" and how does it differ from a Power of Attorney for Personal Care?

A Power of Attorney for Personal Care may be used for the same purpose as an "advance care directive" or "living will" (which documents your care wishes) but it also appoints your substitute decision-maker. If you do a living will and use it to name someone as your substitute decision-maker, then it may be a Power of Attorney for Personal Care if it meets the legal requirements - that is, that it be in writing, signed and dated by you, and witnessed by two people.

You do not need a lawyer to prepare any documents related to advance care planning, whether in the form of a Power of Attorney for Personal Care or an "advance care directive".

The government of Ontario publishes a guide to advanced care planning that may be useful.

For more information:

Phone 1-888-910-1999 (Toll-free) or 1-800-387-5559 (TTY)

Visit the website here

Disclaimer: The MS Society is an independent, voluntary health agency and does not approve, endorse or recommend any specific product or therapy but provides information to assist individuals in making their own decisions. For specific information and advice, please consult your personal physician. Read our full privacy policy.

Open navigation