Volunteer Legal Advocacy Program - BC & Yukon
- Relevant Offices: Coastal Regional Chapter, Interior Regional Chapter, Northern Regional Chapter, Whitehorse
- Contact Info: Nyssa Lessingham
VLAP assists people affected by multiple sclerosis in BC and the Yukon address legal challenges with the help of lay volunteers and lawyers who provide pro-bono legal advice or representation.
General information and education
Information about advocacy and legal topics, including income security, human rights, and government resources. Information is provided by telephone, email or in-person at our Burnaby office. VLAP Resource Guides help clients deal with the more common legal and advocacy challenges faced by those who are affected by MS. Resource guides are available in PDF format or printed copy by request.
- Canada Pension Plan – Disability (CPP-D) Benefits
- Employment Insurance Sickness Benefits
- Long-Term Disability (LTD) Insurance Benefits
- MS and Income Security: Planning for the Future
- MS and Employment: Working it Out
General advocacy support
- CPP-Disability Benefit appeals and tribunals
- Employment-related issues
- Insurance-related issues
- Other difficult situations
Free legal advice or full representation by lawyers for challenges related to:
- Disability insurance issues
- Human rights
- Employment Equity
- Power of Attorney and Representation Agreements
- Wills and estates
- Setting up a trust, particularly related to PwD benefits
Referral to a lawyer for advice or representation is primarily available in larger communities and is based on financial need. Clients need to provide income information prior to be considered for this aspect of VLAP.
If we are unable to assist you with your specific advocacy or legal challenge, we will try to connect you to other available resources in your community.
Relevant advocacy and legal resources
- Legal Services Society, British Columbia: www.lss.bc.ca
- ClickLaw: resource website for legal and advocacy issues: www.clicklaw.bc.ca
- PovNet: resource website for poverty law related topics: www.povnet.org
- Yukon Legal Service Society: www.legalaid.yk.ca
If you or someone you know requires assistance with a legal or advocacy issue or if you have legal expertise and would like to volunteer for this program please contact the VLAP Coordinator at 604-602-3236 or at firstname.lastname@example.org. We ask for your patience - please allow a few days for a response. Your message is important to us and we will get back to you.
VLAP made possible by the Law Foundation of British Columbia .