What You Need to Know About Coronavirus
Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada

Programs and Services

BC's Fuel Tax Refund Program for Persons with Disabilities

  • Financial Assistance
  • Travel and Transportation

Persons with a disability are eligible for a refund on motor fuel tax they have paid on fuel purchased for their motor vehicles and may receive up to $500 per calendar year for the cost of fuel used by their leased or owned vehicle.

  • The applicant must be at least 16 years of age, and
  • The applicant must own or lease the vehicle (joint ownership is eligible).

Qualifying disabilities, certified by a nurse or doctor, include:

  • Permanent dependency on a wheelchair or a scooter.
  • Complete and permanent loss of function of the lower limbs.
  • Having experienced a permanent impairment of locomotion to the extent that it would be hazardous for them to use public transportation.
  • Having experienced a sight impairment to the extent that they are not eligible to hold a driver's license under the Motor Vehicle Act.
  • Having received disability assistance under the Ministry of Social Development, or you would receive assistant of a supplement but do not qualify because you are 65 years old or older.

Individuals can apply in three ways:

  • online using eTax BC found here
  • printable application available here
  • pick up an application from a Service BC Centre

For more information:

Visit the website here

Disclaimer: The MS Society is an independent, voluntary health agency and does not approve, endorse or recommend any specific product or therapy but provides information to assist individuals in making their own decisions. For specific information and advice, please consult your personal physician. Read our full privacy policy.

Open navigation