Quality of Life Equipment Program
- Assistive Devices & Medical Supplies Financial Assistance
Quality of Life Equipment Grants
The MS Society offers individuals living with MS a wide variety of programs that promote personal independence and contribute to an enhanced quality of life. The Quality of Life Equipment Grants are designed to provide financial assistance to those requiring support with the purchase of mobility equipment, and safety devices.
- A confirmation of diagnosis of MS or allied disease and assessment of need from a health care professional
- Completed application form (Please access as many other sources of funding possible, including government sources of funding, before applying to the MS Society of Canada)
- Program is open to all residents of Canada living with multiple sclerosis or an allied condition, except for residents of Quebec.
- Funding availability
- Please be aware that the MS Society does not provide funding “after the fact” for equipment. The amount of funding available through our program is based on individual need and the resources available. Once a completed application has been received and reviewed, the applicant and health care provider will be contacted to discuss amount of funding awarded.
- Multiple applications (equipment and repair) may be submitted per person per calendar year, and it can contain requests for funding for multiple pieces of equipment, with the eligible max per person within a calendar year being $1,000 per person.
- Funding is only meant to support specific items within the year that the funding is awarded; the MS Society is unable to provide ongoing financial assistance and may be unable to provide additional funding to maintain the equipment.
- If an application is approved funding must be used within 3 months of the approval or it will expire, and a new application will be required. It is highly recommended that all external sources of funding have been secured before applying to MS Society.
- Bathing aids (e.g., bath lifts; bath chairs; bath benches)
- Braces and supports (e.g., leg braces; orthopedics; orthotics; splints; Walk Aide systems)
- Computers adaptations (e.g., home systems – supporting independence)
- Equipment repairs
- Hospital beds and hospital bed mattresses, including air mattresses for pressure sore relief
- Lifts and lift systems
- Kitchen aids (e.g., auto feeders; adapted utensils)
- Mobility aids (e.g., scooters; walkers; wheelchairs)
- MS‐related specialized clothing (e.g., sheepskin products, cooling vests)
- Toileting aids (e.g., commodes; raised toilet seats; toilet safety frames)
- Transferring aids (e.g., belts; boards; grab bars; poles)
- Vehicle modifications (e.g., lifts; hand controls; left foot accelerators, ramps)
Funding for other types of equipment not listed may be considered in terms of the equipment’s direct, positive impact on the applicant’s quality of life and MS symptoms. If you are unsure if the MS Society provides funding for the equipment that you need, contact the MS Society to discuss before applying.
Ineligible Equipment (not funded):
- Prescribed Medications and MS Disease Modifying Therapies
- Food, Nutrition and Vitamin Supplements or Services
- Over the counter medications (e.g., aspirin)
- Alternative or Complimentary Therapies (e.g., psychotherapy, social work therapy, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, bee sting therapy, reiki, etc.)
- Nursing Services
- Financial Services (e.g., credit counselling)
- Funding of mortgages/rent, household expenses (e.g. hydro, electric, groceries, etc.), insurance premiums, residential care facility costs
- Home renovations (e.g., home elevators, wheel in showers)
- Purchase of vehicles
- Exercise equipment (e.g., machines & bicycles)
- TENS and EMS machines
- Cough‐Assist machines
- Sleep apnea devices
To download the 2022 Quality of Life Equipment Grants Application, please click here.
To download the 2022 Quality of Life Repair Application, please click here.
For the 2022 Quality of Life Equipment Program Guidelines, please click here.
Cooling Products Program
Similar to the Equipment Program, the MS Society offers a Cooling Product Program to contribute to an enhanced quality of life. The MS Society recognizes that heat and heat exacerbation play a pivotal role in peoples abilities to participate in activities of daily living during hot summer months. The Quality of Life Cooling Product Program is designed to provide financial assistance to those requiring support with the purchase of cooling products such as cooling fans (e.g., Dyson), air conditioning units (e.g., window or portable), and central air units.
The program opens on April 1st
and remains open to applications until September 30th or until funds have been exhausted; whichever occurs first. If you would like to apply, please read the Cooling Product guidelines below before applying.
For instructions for the 2022 Cooling Products Program, please click here
To download the 2022 Quality of Life Cooling Products Application, please click here